The Heritage Connection – Episode 1: Taking Care of Your Family Treasures
In the first episode of The Heritage Connection, we discuss practical ways to take care of your family treasures at home.
Episode 1 Resource List
Archival Material Sources
- Boxes, storage materials: gaylord.com, universityproducts.com, & hollingermetaledge.com
- Polyester sheet protectors in many configurations and sizes: printfile.com
- Local Craft Stores – Check the scrapbooking section for polyester sheet protectors, twill tape in the fabric department (wide is better), polyester batting and unbleached muslin for textile storage
- Book Repair: https://bookman-jim.biz/
- Phase box (custom box for protection) for books: https://www.nps.gov/museum/publications/conserveogram/19-23.pdf
- Silver cloth source: nancysilver.com
- Calcium carbonate source and silica gel source: amazon.com
- How to polish silver with calcium carbonate: https://www.canada.ca/en/conservation-institute/services/conservation-preservation-publications/canadian-conservation-institute-notes/precipitated-calcium-carbonate-silver-polish.html
- Padded Hanger Tutorial (there are many ways to make a padded hanger, this is one of the simplest):https://maas.museum/app/uploads/2017/02/how_to_create_a_padded_coathanger.pdf
- Find a Conservator (American Institute for Conservation): https://www.culturalheritage.org/about-conservation/find-a-conservator
You Make Our Work Possible!
Community support allows us to continue telling Washington County’s stories. We invite you to become a member and consider making an additional gift of support. Contact us about sponsorship opportunities for local businesses as well.