Join the Friends of the Saxonia House for an open house and walking tour of the grounds, including the historic ‘half timber’ Fachwerk construction built in 1855. It served as a residence and the center of the community, a meeting place, a boarding house, and more. Also on the property is an 1860 beer cave used for cooling and storing the beer. Meet Fillmore’s early settlers and hear the community’s history, which was settled in 1846 by immigrants from Saxony and Bavaria. The settlement includes a Turn Verein Hall built in 1867-1868 and still in operation today as a venue for weddings and events.
*The Tower Heritage Center is not involved in this event, but we are happy to promote our fellow county historical organizations!